Distribution System

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Water Quality

The water distribution system is routinely flushed to assure water quality in the water distribution system. The semi annual testing and exercising of fire hydrants contributes to the overall flushing effort. Water samples are taken at a number of locations throughout the Town to ensure water system quality meets the requirements of the Safe Drinking Water Act. Citizens with concerns about the quality of their drinking water should call 311 or (919) 469-4090.

Water Leaks

The Town routinely surveys 50-75 miles of the water distribution system per month with electronic listening devices to minimize loss from the water system. The Town schedules system repairs as leaks are discovered. The public is encouraged to report all system leaks as soon as possible to Town of Cary at 311 or (919) 469-4090.

Whenever a customer experiences a water leak inside a home or business, the main water shut off valve should be located and turned off. If the valve cannot be located or shut off, call Town of Cary at 311 or (919) 469-4090 weekdays from 7 a.m.-7 p.m. or (919) 469-4012 after hours and on holidays, to have the water meter shut off so repairs can be made. The homeowner is responsible for repairs both inside the home and from the dwelling to the water meter. The Town is responsible for repairing leaks in the street or between the street and the meter. If there is an unusual increase in water consumption on your Town of Cary utility bill, consider checking around the hot water tank and underneath the house for water leaks. Toilets can also be checked for leaks by performing a dye test. Call 311 or (919) 469-4050 to further discuss a water consumption increase or to schedule a water audit.

Water Meters

The Town of Cary installs and maintains all water meters and related appurtenances for residential and commercial sites within Town limits. Other related water meter services and contact numbers are:

  • Purchase of water meter - contractor/building: Permits & Inspections, 311 or (919) 469-4340
  • Replacement of water meters (broken glass, hard to read, aged out, etc.): Finance, 311 or (919) 469-4050

Contact the Town of Cary at 311 or (919) 469-4090 for the following:

  • Leaks: See water leaks
  • Installation of new meter
  • Raising, lowering, and repairing meter boxes
  • Replacing meter box lids
  • Low water pressure

Water System and Fire Hydrant Maintenance

The Town performs operational tests and system maintenance on all Town of Cary fire hydrants twice each year. The tests serve a dual purpose by assuring adequate fire flow and the flushing of sedimentation from the distribution system. For questions about fire hydrants, call 311 or (919) 469-4090.