Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

As part of our long-term water resource management, the Town encourages wise water use and regulates irrigation from in-ground, automatic irrigation systems and above-ground irrigation.

Watering Ordinances
Irrigating with any system that uses potable water, including hose and sprinkler connections, must follow the Town's year-round watering ordinances. Customers who irrigate with reclaimed water, pond or well water are exempt from the Alternate-Day Way Watering Ordinance. Apply for a 45-day exemption to the alternate day watering schedule to establish new turf or for seasonal reseeding. 

Above-Ground Irrigation from a Separate Irrigation Meter 

Irrigation with a hose and sprinkler incurs water and sewer charges unless the water comes through a separate irrigation meter. To incur only water charges for irrigation, consider one of  these three options.  

In-Ground Automatic Irrigation System Installation

Installing an automatic irrigation system using potable, reclaimed, well or pond water requires it meets our irrigation design standards and is permitted. Upload the following documents and the irrigation plan after registering to submit an irrigation permit via the plan review portal.

Also, bring a notarized, original Minor Right-of-Way Encroachment Agreement to Planning and Development Services at Town Hall before you are ready to pay for and pick up your permit.

Water from wells or ponds also require an additionapermit from Wake County or Chatham County

If you are installing an automatic irrigation system that costs at least $2,500, it must be installed by a licensed irrigation contractor in accordance with North Carolina law. Visit North Carolina Irrigation Contractors' Licensing Board for details. Maintain your system throughout the irrigation season to keep it watering effectively.  

Required Backflow Testing
The Town requires that you test your backflow prevention device annually.

311 inside Town limits
(919) 469-4000 outside Cary