In the Home

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The purpose of the Fats, Oils and Grease Control program is to reduce sewer line overflows by regulating what businesses that prepare or serve food discharge into the wastewater system. Residents can also help keep sewer lines functioning properly while protecting their plumbing systems from grease accumulation.

Residential Cooking Oil Curbside Collection and Recycling Program

The Town’s Residential Waste Cooking Oil Disposal Program is designed to give Cary solid waste customers an opportunity to recycle used cooking oil and grease into an environmentally friendly bio-fuel. Prepare it for Curbside Collection.

Utility Customers who do not receive Cary solid waste services may drop off used cooking oil at any Wake County Multi-Material Recycling Facility or at any Chatham County Collection Center.

Multi-family Residential Waste Cooking Oil Collection 

Citizens in multi-family communities (apartment/townhome communities) can also recycle their waste cooking oils and grease through a special collection event. Property Managers should contact Maria Vanderloop, Utility Pretreatment Program Supervisor, at (919) 319-4564 to coordinate an event in their neighborhood.

What do I do if I have a sewer blockage?

When a stoppage occurs, call 311 or (919) 469-4090, weekdays from 7 a.m.-7 p.m., or (919) 469-4012 after hours and on holidays. The Town will assess the stoppage to determine if the blockage is on the Town's side of the sewer line or the homeowner's side of the sewer line. The Town of Cary will clear blockages that occur in the main sewer line or in the sewer lateral, from the main line to the clean out pipe at the edge of the property. The sewer clean out is a vertical, capped, 4" pipe that provides direct access to the sewer system. Homeowners are responsible for blockages that occur in the sewer lateral, located between the clean out pipe and the dwelling. If there is no clean out pipe at the edge of the property, the homeowner is responsible for blockages that occur anywhere in the sewer lateral.

Related Information


Request a free curbside FOG collection here or by calling 311 or (919) 469-4090.

Maria Vanderloop - Utility Pretreatment Program Supervisor
Utilities Department
400 James Jackson Ave
(919) 319-4564

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer