ADA IMPROVEMENT PROJECTS
Cary strives to assure that all provided services and programs are accessible. The ADA Transition Planplays an important role to meet that goal of removing all accessible barriers identified in the plan. Depending on the type and number of barriers identified for each facility, park, street, or greenway, removal is completed as individual capital projects or included with other maintenance or Capital Improvement Plan projects.
Listed below are current and completed ADA Improvement projects and costs:
- Amphitheater Improvements – Installed stage access and improved existing accessible parking spaces and seating - $65,000 final project costs
- Lobby & Locker Room Improvements - 6,800 sf renovation - $183,000 final project cost
- Sidewalks – Installed (2) new accessible sidewalks - $16,000 final project cost
Comfort Station 1 & 2 Additions & Renovations
- Installed (2) new accessible restrooms - $290,000 final project cost
Sidewalks & Boardwalk
- Regraded and installed new sidewalks and boardwalk access - $92,000 final project costs
BROOKS PARK IMPROVEMENTS
- Lift – Repaired existing lift - $4,500 final project cost
- Parking – Regraded/paved existing parking spaces - $42,000 final project cost
CARY TENNIS PARK IMPROVEMENTS
- Through maintenance repair project, staff are currently working with a contractor to update existing elevator audio signals. Estimated cost of repairs is $7,500.
- This project will be part of a major site reconstruction project to correct settlement of existing sidewalks accessing the building. Accessible parking spaces will be regraded and paved to meet ADA compliance – Current estimated construction cost is $130,000.
CARY SENIOR CENTER
Office & Classroom Improvements
- 8,200 sf renovation - $262,000 final project cost
- Replaced toilet partitions - $42,000 final project cost
Parking, Sidewalk & Pavement Improvements
- $32,000 final project cost
Fountain Handrail Installation
- $1,200 final project cost
COMMUNITY CENTER SIGNAGE
- The interior signage for all three community centers was installed over seventeen years ago. Since requirements for accessibility signs have evolved, staff are currently working with a contractor and sign company to replace all interior signage that meets ADA compliance. Total Project Cost is $8,300 with installation completion estimated in Fall 2020.
CURB RAMP IMPROVEMENTS
- There are over 458 miles of roads and 6,700 curb ramps in Cary. Through Cary’s “Street Improvements” program, over 10% of the curb ramps have been repaired since 2013. Since the program’s beginning, curb ramps have been included in the annual street assessments and continue to be repaired or replaced with each project. Average cost to replace or repair each curb ramp is $1,600.
FIRE STATIONS #1, #3, & #6 IMPROVEMENTS
- Modified layout and replaced kitchen cabinets - $45,000 total project costs
HERB YOUNG COMMUNITY CENTER ACCESS IMPROVEMENTS
- Installed additional sidewalk access and replaced main entrance - $7,150 total project cost
KOKA BOOTH AMPHITHEATER IMPROVEMENTS
- Replaced existing partitions and sinks - $19,800 final project costs
- Corrected slopes and installed new ramps - $90,322 total project costs
RITTER PARK RESTROOM IMPROVEMENTS
- Installed (2) new accessible restrooms - $236,000 final project cost
STEVENS NATURE CENTER
Accessible Parking Improvements
- Regraded/repaved existing parking spaces – $18,800 final project cost
Exterior Handrail & Fence Improvements
- Replaced existing handrails - $12,000 final project cost
- Stevens Nature center was built over 20 years ago and remains one of Cary’s most visited facilities throughout the year. Although the restrooms have undergone minor finish renovations, this project is to fully renovate the existing restrooms to meet ADA compliance. Scope of work also includes updating plumbing fixtures and interior finishes. Estimated Design and Construction Costs is $110,000. The consultant began design in July 2020 and estimated completion of construction is Spring 2021.
WAKE MED SOCCER PARK IMPROVEMENTS
- Replaced partitions & accessories - $74,800 final project costs
- Currently in design phase to correct the slopes of the accessible parking spaces located in the north and south parking lots adjacent to Fields #4 & #5. Current estimated costs for design and construction is $60,000.
Architect & LEED AP
Transportation & Facilities Department
Town of Cary