Location: 119 Ambassador Loop
Designated in 1994
The Page-Walker Hotel, now known as the Page-Walker Arts & History Center, is significant because of its historical association with Allison Francis (Frank) Page – founder of Cary, leader in the North Carolina lumber and rail industry, and father of Walter Hines Page, U.S. ambassador to Great Britain during the Wilson administration. Frank Page built the hotel around 1868 to cater to railroad passengers after tracks were built through Cary in 1854.
Page and his wife, Catherine Raboteau Page, sold the hotel to the Walker family in 1884, after which the building changed hands several more times. Major renovations were conducted in the 1940s, the 1970s and the 1980s, when it was purchased by the Town of Cary.
The internal layout is surprisingly intact given its change in use over time from a hotel to an apartment building/boarding house to a single-family dwelling to its current use as a public arts and history center.
Today, it is a rare example of the Second Empire-style in small-town North Carolina, and is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.