Since its opening in 2002, the Cary Tennis Park has grown to become a nationally-recognized venue, hosting local, regional, and professional tournament events that include ACC Tournaments, USTA Amateur, and Pro-Circuit play. These events bring large crowds, which quickly fill and overflow the existing seating. Some of the courts do not have seating at all, so the need for additional seating to host these large events continues to increase.
The new bleacher seating will be installed in two separate phases on the tennis park campus:
- Phase One: The first bleacher location will be designed for the existing stadium court which is adjacent to the tennis park clubhouse. A total of 569 new seats will be installed on the east, south, and west sides of the stadium court. The south side court seating will be elevated and shaded behind the full length of the baseline fence.
- Phase Two The second bleacher location will be between Courts 4-6 and 10-12, where many USTA and collegiate tournaments are played. The design layout includes elevated platform seating for approximately 400 spectators located directly behind the baseline fences overlooking each set of courts.
In July 2018, the Town of Cary approved an inter-local agreement in which Wake County agreed to provide $400,000 toward the seating improvement projects. Estimated costs for design, construction, and contingency is $900,000 to complete both phases of work.
- Fall 2018: Begin Design
- Fall 2020: Complete Construction
- Winter 2020: Begin Design
- Winter 2021: Complete Construction
Reid Saunders, Architect
Transportation & Facilities Department