See Chapter 9 of the Cary Land Development Ordinance for complete text.
View guidance for Political Signs.
TEMPORARY SIGNS ALLOWED
(These signs are temporary with regard to their design, in that they can be placed in the ground on stakes but are not subject to specific time limits.)
|Maximum Number of Temporary Signs Per Parcel||8||4|
|Maximum Area of Individual Sign||5 sq ft||3 signs: 5 sq ft
1 sign: 16 sq ft
|Maximum Sign Height||42 inches||42 inches|
|Minimum Setback from Side Property Line||5 feet||5 feet|
- A maximum of two temporary commercial signs are allowed on a single parcel. Off-site commercial signs are prohibited.
- The maximum sign area applies to the size of the sign itself. Signs may be double-sided and contain messages on both sides.
- Signs in the right-of-way are prohibited except as allowed by state or federal law.
Signs shall be allowed on the inside or outside of window glass provided that they cover no more than twenty-five (25) percent of the gross glass area on any one (1) side of the building and they are not separately illuminated. Signs permanently affixed to the external side of windows shall be a medium or premium grade vinyl, digital image using solvent coloring, or other similar type material and shall be maintained in good order.
TIME-LIMITED SIGNS (apply electronically)
(These types of signs may be displayed for a limited period of time.
New Construction Sign
Signs associated with new subdivision development or site construction are allowed provided that a permit from Cary is obtained and the sign meets the following criteria:
The sign requirements will be the same as a "principal ground sign," per Section 9.2.5(F) except that:
- Limitations on the color do not apply.
- Signs must be removed within two (2) years from the date of approval of the sign permit, OR
- The issuance of Certificates of Occupancy for seventy-five percent (75%) of the subdivision phase or site plan, whichever occurs first.
In single-family residential districts, a single sign shall be permitted if there is an approved real estate office. Such sign shall not exceed:
- Sixteen (16) square feet in area, and
- Forty-two (42) inches in height.
Façade Renovation Alternative to Permanent Wall Sign
A banner shall be allowed for a business undergoing a façade change or exterior renovation, as an alternative to a permitted permanent wall sign, provided that:
A permit from Cary is obtained the banner meets the following criteria:
- One (1) banner is allowed.
- Signs must be attached to and parallel with a wall of the building on which wall signs are permitted and
- It will not exceed thirty-two (32) square feet or ½ the size of a previously-permitted sign removed in order to construct the façade replacement, whichever is greater.
- The sign may be display for a maximum of ninety (90) days.
New Business Alternative to Permanent Wall Sign
One (1) banner shall be allowed for a new business provided that:
- It is limited to a duration of thirty (30) days within the first sixty (60) days after issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy for that location.
- It will be attached to and parallel with a wall of the building on which wall signs are permitted and shall not exceed thirty-two (32) square feet in surface area.
A second banner meeting requirements of 9.2.5(M) shall be allowed provided that:
- Only one (1) of the two (2) banners is visible from any given vantage point; and
- Both banners are approved for display during the same time period.