Planning and Development Services Call Center
Online Services (click2gov)
- Apply for a Residential Trade Permit
- Schedule or cancel an inspection
- Pay for a permit fees
- Review inspection results
- Search permits
- Commercial Building Permits
- Residential - new construction & small projects
- Development Plans
Commercial Building Permits
Sign Permits & Resources
Time-limited and permanent sign applications are accepted online. Additional information is available:
Rules and Regulations
The Town of Cary has declared a State of Emergency and closed Town Hall and all staffed facilities.
Permits and inspections are continuing uninterrupted while we work remotely due to COVID-19. Due to our current high volume of permits, please allow extra time for your permit review. You will be notified via email once your application has been routed for review, and when it is complete.
Thank you for your patience!
If you have a question or need non-emergency assistance, dial 311 within town limits. For emergencies, dial 911. Learn more.
More information is available regarding adjustments to processes for Planning, Inspections, and Development Services.
Cary is in the heart of the Triangle area, which repeatedly ranks among the top places in the nation to live, work and do business. Get your project from concept to completion with the aid of our development process flowcharts or get more details about our stages of development and permitting below.
Schedule an appointment with a Development Liaison to discuss development processes such as:
- Verify or amend your land use or zoning
- Apply for Special Use Approvals
- Prepare for a Pre-Application meeting with our Development Review Committee.
- A Pre-Application meeting is a free opportunity to propose a draft business proposal to Town staff and receive feedback before proceeding with a business idea.
Following development plan approvals and obtaining any necessary Federal, State and Local land permits:
- Set up a pre-construction conference with your Stormwater Engineering & Infrastructure Technician
- Apply for a grading permit if needed
Inspections are required at each phase of construction covering the site:
- Public Infrastructure
- Food Services, if applicable.